Choosing a school is one of the most important decisions you will ever make and you will naturally wish to find out as much information as possible. The Headteacher shows parents of prospective Reception children around the school on a regular basis, normally on a Tuesday morning, during the Autumn Term. If you are moving into the area and applying for an In Year Admission, separate tours can be arranged. Please telephone the school office on 020 8445 9735 to make an appointment if you are considering applying to our school. The next tours of the school will take place at 9.15am on Tuesday 19th September 2017, Tuesday 17th October 2017, Tuesday 7th November 2017 and Tuesday 5th December 2017. Please call the school office to book a place.
If you decide you would like to apply for a place at our school, you will need to apply through the Admissions Department of the Local Education Authority. Places are allocated in accordance with the LEA admission criteria. We do not handle our own admissions or have any influence over who is, or is not, offered a place.
The Planned Admission Number for our school is 120. This means that we can admit up to 120 pupils into each year group.
Current number of pupils on roll: 360
Reception 2018 - If your child is born between 1st September 2013 and 31st August 2014 they are due to start Reception class in September 2018.
Information for New Reception Parents & Carers - September 2016 Admission
We are looking forward to meeting you all and welcoming you to Moss Hall. As you will know if you have visited the school or checked out our Admissions and Settling In Arrangements, we start the children in small groups, gradually during September. This allows our 120 children to have a smooth transition to school and ensures we can meet and get to know the children in little groups. You will need to arrange a home visit appointment for September with your child’s teacher during your visit to the school in July.
Here is a timeline of what you can expect over the next few months:
You will receive a 'Welcome to Moss Hall Infant School' letter which asks you to complete an information sheet. This should be returned to the office quickly so we can decide the make up of the classes. We have four Reception Classes - Butterflies, Honeybees, Ladybirds and Spiders.
September - Reception Home Visits
Children will start in groups of 10 on the afternoon of either the 14th, 19th or 21st September.
Following their first afternoon session, children will do a week of mornings only (until 11.45am), then a week of attending until 1.00pm (mornings and lunchtime) and then, if your child has settled, they will be full time (until 3.15pm) in the third week.
We look forward to welcoming you and your child to Moss Hall Infant School.
Reception Class Admissions
Parents can apply for a place in one of our Reception classes from the September after their child is three years old, ready for admission in the September when they are already four years old. The normal deadline for the application for Reception Year is January of the year they are due to start. Full details can be found on the Barnet Primary Schools Admissions Guide.
Parents who wish to apply for our school should apply on-line to the Local Authority. If you are not able to apply on-line, please contact the Admissions Department on 020 8359 7651. There is no additional application form to complete for the school.
The criteria used for placing the waiting list include the following:
1. Children who are ’looked after’ and children who were adopted (or subject to residence orders or special guardianship orders) immediately following having been ‘looked after’.
2. Other children whom the Director of Children’s Service accepts have an exceptional medical, social or other need that the school is particularly able to meet.
3. Children who, at the time of admission, have a sibling (brother or sister) living at the same address who already attends the school, or the linked school in the case of separate infant and junior schools (Moss Hall Junior School).
4. Children living within the school’s defined area, with priority given to those who live closest to the school when measuring distance in a straight line. A copy of a map with the catchment area can be found on the school information page.
5. Children living outside the individual school’s defined area, with priority given to those who live closest to the school when measuring distance in a straight line. To find your distance from the school, follow the link below and then enter your postcode in 'Location' and click on 'Find schools'. Your local schools and your distance from them will be listed.
In Year Admissions
Children are also admitted at other times during the year, depending on the availability of places and according to the London Borough of Barnet’s admissions policy. (See the publication “A Guide to Primary Education in Barnet” or the Barnet website for full details).
We are an oversubscribed school; this means that places only become available after the initial intake if a current pupil leaves the school.
Local authorities co-ordinate applications from their residents for places at all maintained primary and secondary schools and academies, including schools outside the home authority. This means that you will complete one Common Application Form (CAF) provided by the council in which you live.
· If you live in Barnet you should complete the In-year admissions CAF found at this link below.
· If you live outside Barnet, you must obtain an application form from the council where you live, even if you intend to apply for Barnet schools.
If a place does become available for your child, the Local Authority Admissions Department will contact you. Once a child has been offered a place and the place has been accepted, the school will contact you to confirm the induction process. All children start mornings only and will extend the day to full time once they have settled in. If you have any further questions please contact the school office, or contact the admissions department at London Borough of Barnet: Telephone: 020 8359 7651.